August 30th – September 10th, 2021
The Land of Fire and Ice!
Iceland Photography Tour 2020
August 30th – September 10th, 2021
Westfjords Extension is ALSO available! See below!
McKay Photography Academy is returning once again to one of our most popular destinations! This tour will sell out quickly.
We are putting together our years of knowledge of touring Iceland and creating the most Ultimate Iceland tour we have ever done!
We LOVE Iceland! It is by far one of our favorite locations to explore and photograph in the entire world for nature photography. And part of why we keep coming back! This tour has sold out the last three times we have done it and we fully expect the same this time around.
Join us and see why Iceland is considered by many photographers, as well as us, to be the best natural and beautiful location in the world to see and shoot! Especially if you LOVE waterfalls and glacier Lagoons!
A few Icelandic facts:
Weather: Iceland is NOT full of ice! During the time we go, temperatures average around 65-70 and it can be quite pleasant.
Waterfalls: Some of the most beautiful waterfalls in the world are in Iceland making it one reason it is such a photographic paradise.
Volcanic activity: Iceland has incredible landscapes created by the diverse area and volcanic activity that has occurred. Truly a place of wonder.
People: Some of the nicest people you will ever meet. They are welcoming and fun.
Getting there: Simple! Direct flights occur daily from all over the world
and prices for flights have been excellent!
Elves: It is true…many Icelanders believe in Elves!
- Attendee to Instructor Ratio: 5-1 Student/Instructor
- Price: $7495
- Single Supplement Available – $1300
- $2000 deposit and then a monthly no interest payment plan is available!
- Non-Photographer spouse or friend rate $6495 – VERY LIMITED AVAILABILITY
- Price includes:
- MPA team personally educating and photographing with you
- Full days of shooting with instruction.
- Accommodations (Based on double occupancy – we will arrange a same-sex roommate.)
- Transportation in Iceland during tour dates- Our own Private coach and driver
- All permits, park entrance fees, and fees for listed set activities
- Meals as listed in itinerary TEN Breakfast and Six 3 course dinners ( This alone is worth an average of $85 per person per dinner!)
- Price DOES NOT include:
- Transportation to Iceland (Keflavík International Airport – KEF)
- Travel Insurance – HIGHLY recommended
- Personal Expenses (additional meals, beverages, alcohol, wifi, laundry, etc)
- Additional Tours or Excursions
- Tips and Gratuities
The trip is not confirmed until the deposit is placed. Due to limited space, there are NO EXCEPTIONS to this and it is on a first come first serve basis. Contact us with any questions.
Our tour begins on the morning of Aug 30th in Reykjavik, Iceland. You will want to arrive in Reykjavik in time for the group transfer from the airport at 10 am. We will be meeting as a group around 9:30 am right outside of the customs/baggage claim area. If you arrive earlier in the morning we suggest grabbing breakfast and a cup of coffee while waiting at the airport.
The main tour ends in Reykjavik on September, 210th and the extension tour will end on September 26th. You are free to then fly home at your leisure. We will have one group transfer back to the airport each morning. The transfer time will be determined by the majority of the tour participants departure flights.
You will want to book your flight to fly in and out of the Reykjavik-Keflavík International Airport (KEF). Plan to arrive in time for our group transfer around 9:30 am on August 30th IF you decide to come in a day or two early, to rest up, please let us know. The same goes if you decide to extend your trip. Note: If you arrive after our scheduled 10 am group transfer, any additional transportation expenses to meet up with the group will be your responsibility.
Once you have your flights booked please forward the confirmations over to us. They can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: Most flights leaving the US arrive in Iceland the preceding day. Plan to ARRIVE in Iceland on Friday, September 11th. This may mean departing the United States on Thursday the 10th.
Main Tour & Extension – Base Itinerary*:
- Mon, Aug 30 – Arrive Reykjavik – Overnight: Fosshotel Reykjavik
- Tue, Aug 31 – Golden Circle to Westman Islands – Overnight: Hotel Vestmannaeyjar
- Wed, Sep 1 – Westman Island – Overnight: Hotel Vestmannaeyjar
- Thu, Sep 2 – Beautiful South Coast – Overnight: Hotel Skogafoss
- Fri , Sep 3 – Hiking and Icelandic Horses – Overnight: Hotel Skogafoss
- Sat , Sep 4 – Vatnajökull National Park and Jökulsárlón – Overnight: Hotel Jökull
- Sun, Sep 5 – Lake Lagarfljot and Chasing Waterfalls – Overnight: Hotel Raudaskrida
- Mon, Sep 6 – Dettifoss Waterfall to Lake Mývatn – Overnight: Fosshotel Mývatn
- Tue, Sep 7 – Mývatn and Ásbyrgi Canyon – Overnight: Fosshotel Mývatn
- Wed, Sep 8 – Leaving the North and Into Borgarfjordur Fjord – Overnight: Fosshotel Reykholt
- Thu, Sep 9 – Fjords of the West and Back to Reykjavik – Overnight: Fosshotel Reykholt
- Fri , Sep 10 – Main Tour Ends – Extension Begins: Flight to Isafjordur – Overnight: Hotel Isafjordur
- Sat, Sep 11 – Exploring the Westfjords – Overnight: Fosshotel Westfjords
- Sun, Sep 12 – Stykkisholmur – Overnight: Fosshotel Stykkisholmur
- Mon, Sep 13 – Exploring Snæfellsnes Peninsula – Overnight: Fosshotel Reykjavik
- Tue, Sep 14 – Depart Reykjavik
*Subject to Change
*Subject to Change
Group will be met by driver and taken to hotel in the city. Free day in Reykjavik to explore the city.
*Fosshotel Reykjavik12/09/2020 – Exploring the Golden Circle and to Westman Islands
Driving the Golden Circle with stops at Thingvellir national park, Geysir geothermal fields, and Gullfoss waterfall. Stop at Seljalandsfoss, and then evening ferry to Vestmannaeyjar and overnight on the island.
Take the day to explore the beautiful island. Hiking Heimaklettur, or Edlfell mountains. Explore the lava field from the 1973 eruption and visit the Eldheimar museum. Dinner at Slippurinn restaurant in the evening.
Morning ferry back to the mainland to explore the South Coast. Waterfalls of Seljalandsfoss and Skogafoss. Drive towards Solheimajökull glacier, and to island of Dyrholaey and black sand beach of Reynisfjara. Overnight at Skogafoss.
Free morning to hike and explore the area. Hiking trail to the start of Fimmvorduhals trail next to Skogafoss waterfall. Possibility to walk towards the craters of Magni and Modi from the eruption of Eyjafjallajökull in 2010. Afternoon presentation of the Icelandic horse in Vík, and then a photoshoot on black sand beach with Reynisdrangar cliffs as a backdrop.
Two horses will be made to run across the sands for a great photo.
Morning visit at Reynisfjara and then pushing east towards Skaftafell and Jökulsárlón glacier lagoon. At Fjallsarlon glacier lagoon you will meet up with your zodiac tour operator that will take the group on a private tour in the glacier lagoon, getting within touching distance of the icebergs. Ten pax per zodiac. Visiting the Diamond Beach across the road from Jökulsárlón glacier lagoon.
Following coastline through small fishing towns and towards Egilstadir. Drive along Lake Lagarfljot and optional hike towards Hengifoss waterfall.
Head north and visit Dettifoss on the west side (east side not accessible to large buses) and hiking towards Selfoss falls up-river from Dettifoss. Onwards to Lake Mývatn with stops at Namaskard geothermal fields, and then Dimmuborgir and Skutustadir.
Visit Godafoss waterfalls and then head north to Húsavik, and to Ásbyrgi canyon for fall colors and easy hiking in the canyon and the surrounding area. Back to Lake Mývatn at end of the day. Godafoss can be visited either at the beginning or start of this day.
Travel day. Drive through Skagafjordur countryside, with a detour to see Hvitserkur rock on Vatnes peninsula. Traverse Holtavorduheidi peninsula and enjoy an easy hike on Grabrok crater on the other side. Drive into Borgarfjordur fjord, and stops at Deildartunguhver hot spring, and Hraunfossar falls.
Second visit to Hraunfossar waterfalls and Deildartunguhver hot spring. Heading south towards Reykjavik, turn into Hvalfjordur fjord for beautiful fjord views and countryside.
Extension – Flight to Isafjordur Morning bus transfer from Fosshotel Reykjavik to domestic airport for 8 am flight to Isafjordur. Arrival in Isafjordur you meet up with your driver for the Westfjords and head to the hotel in Isafjordur. Free day to explore. *Hotel Isafjordur
Extension – Exploring the Westfjords. Driving towards Patreksfjordur through the Westfjords. Stopping at Dynjandi waterfall, and other interesting spots for exploration and taking photos. *Fosshotel Westfjords
Extension – Europe´s most western point, and to Stykkisholmur Going to Latrabjarg cliffs for views and pictures. Exploring Raudisandur, and then evening ferry from Brjanslækur to Stykkisholmur. *Fosshotel Stykkisholmur
Extension – Exploring Snæfellsnes peninsula Driving around the peninsula with stops at Mt. Kirkjufell, Djupalonssandur black sand beach, and Arnarstapi village. Continuing then onward to Reykjavik and hotel. *Fosshotel Reykjavik
Sept 14th – Depart
Please download the Tour Packet from link below. Much of the information contained in this packet is also available under the Tour Prep page here on the web site. However, this packet will also include some gear specifics for this tour. Please note that specific flight information, arrival and departure times, accommodations, and other logistical information may not be in this packet. Those items will be emailed to you at various times in the planning process of each tour.