December 2nd – December 6th, 2021
Fairbanks Alaska Northern Lights Tour 1
Sold Out. Sign up for waitlist
A Photograph “America the Beautiful” Photography Tour!
Symphony In The Sky!
Northern Lights Photography Tour – Fairbank, Alaska
A photographic AND bucket list experience of a lifetime!
Join us as we once again visit our dear friends Frank and Miriam Stelges at Aurora Bear outside of Fairbanks, AK. Frank and Miriam have been our host for the last few years, BUT this next tour we are planning something new! Beyond the 3 days of working to photograph the Aurora also are these highlights!
- Included will also be a day-time shoot in the area!
- This tour will take place at their private home with incredible Aurora opportunities and landscape.
- An official Alaskan outdoor Bar B Que is included!
- Learn light painting and have fun even when the Aurora is not out!
A Photographic excursion for ALL LEVELS including Beginner through Advanced! Great fun and learning at a great price! No matter what your photographic level, you can attend this tour. Beginners through advanced will find this tour wonderful in so many ways.
Photographer – Pay in Full, Photographer – Payment Plan
- Dates: December 2md – 6th – 2021 (Itinerary below)
- Price $1995 – $1795 EARLY BIRD pay in full.
- Non Photo registrants are allowed, however, due to the VERY LIMITED space in this tour, the price will be the same as early bird pricing.
Included in tour dates:
- SMALL Group
- Transportation each day to shooting locations from our group hotel
- Daylight Photo Excursion to Old Gold Dredge
- Dog Mushing and Mushing School ( Learn to Mush!) INCLUDED!
- Reindeer Photography
- Light Painting options when Aurora not out
- Alaskan outdoor Bar b Que
- Photography-Travel-Friendship-Adventure! The McKay Motto!
As usually happens, we expect this tour to sell out within a day or two. So don’t wait!
- Transportation to/from Fairbanks International Airport (FAI)
- Negotiated lower rate available at the group hotel
- We can assist in finding roommates
- Personal Expenses such as meals, drinks, laundry, souvenirs, etc.
- Trip Insurance (Highly Recommend)
- Gratuities – (MPA team outside of David and Ally)
Our heart’s desire is for everyone to have an experience of a lifetime that you cannot get with anyone else. We work incredibly hard to make sure you are well taken care of, instructed and enjoy an amazing adventure. That is why our clients return again, and again!
- Thu, Dec 2nd, 2021 – Arrive in Fairbanks, Alaska
- Group Welcome Meeting at 7 pm
- Fri, Dec 3rd, 2021 – 10 am – Dog Mushing, Reindeer, and more! Photograph the Aurora at Night!
- Sat, Dec 4th, 2021 – Photograph the Aurora at Night! – Featuring an Alaskan BBQ at Frank & Miriam’s!
- Sun, Dec 5th, 2021 -10 am – Gold Dredge, Snow Shoe, and Photograph the Aurora at Night!
- Mon, Dec 6th, 2021 – Depart Fairbanks
- Departing flights can be booked out of Fairbank, AK anytime after 6:30am
- Some guests prefer to fly out the early morning of the 7th as flights from Fairbanks sometimes leave at 1am!
Q. Can you guarantee the Northern Lights will be out?
A. As the lights are a totally natural occurrence, it is impossible to guarantee they will be seen. However, the reason we work in December and in the location we do is that there is an 80% or higher chance you will see the lights if you are in this area 3 days. We have had excellent luck during this time of year!
This gives excellent odds and you are given the best possible opportunity to do so!
Q. Is Alaska a good place for this?
A. YES! We go 25-30 miles outside of Fairbanks to where there is no light pollution and the skies are optimum for a showing. Again, this area is considered one of the top areas in the world for the lights! PLUS we can do it an extremely affordable price point!
Q. Why December? Isn’t it cold?
A. December in Alaska IS COLD! However, because of the dark skies, and the drier climate, again the opportunities are far better for a great showing.
Q. Will I freeze?
A. This is a big deal and honest question as it can be so cold. The truth is, if you are prepared and dress correctly, you will be just fine. We send you a list of how to prepare and what you will want as necessities for clothing and also for taking care of your camera gear.
Also, as we wait for the Lights to come, we are snuggled inside a beautiful warm home set up as a classroom to learn how to photograph and prepare for our sessions!
Q. What is the home I see in the picture above?
A. This is an AWESOME location our friends Frank and Miriam Stelges built SPECIFICALLY for the purpose of Northern Lights viewing and photography! We all get to hang out INSIDE with warm coffee and hot cocoa while waiting for the light show! When the lights come out, we simply walk out the door and shoot! At any time you can go back and forth and keep warm. We simply have found this to be the BEST for our clients!
Q. What is the northern lights do not show?
A. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee them as we said. However, we really get good results this time of year. IF the lights do not show, you are welcome to always go back with us at a significant discount on another tour. No one else offers anything like this!
Also, we offer alternative shooting during the times the lights are not out. This includes possibilities for dog mushing, nighttime light painting photography, star trails and stations we set up for learning!
Q. Where do I fly into?
A. For this tour, you fly in and out of Fairbanks, AK. You can take a shuttle for free to the hotel.
Q. How do we get around?
A. For each session, we will be in our own chartered van operated by Aurora Bear to take us to and from Frank and Miriam’s place! For other times, we are located directly downtown within walking distance of everything you need!
Q. I’m truly a beginner, a bit nervous and unsure, is that ok?
A. YES! We work directly with all of our clients at all levels. Because of our client to instructor ratio, you will get plenty of instruction in a fun, non-intimidating way! You will find the MPA team as well as our clients, friendly AND fun and always willing to help! This is part of the reason our clients return again and again!
Q. What if I want to stay longer or arrange other items such as the Alaskan Railroad and/or other activities!
A. We can help you with what to do and the best way to do this. We have tour operations we recommend in AK that can take care of any needs you want.
Also, you are welcome to book any extra night on your own for Aurora Photography with Frank and Miriam and we can assist with that if you want to increase your chances even more!
We decided to really focus 3 nights for Aurora shooting at the best possible time of year for the best possible opportunities!
- David McKay
- Frank Stelges
- Miriam Stelges
Instructors are scheduled, however, they are subject to change as needed.
Please download the Tour Packet from the link below when it becomes available. The information contained in this packet is also available under the Tour Prep page here on the web site. However, this packet will also include some gear specifics for this tour. This packet will be updated as we get closer to the tour dates. This is from 2020.